schools in the countryside

Words, phrases and idiomatic expressions.

Palabras, frases y expresiones idiomáticas

schools in the countryside

Postby eva storni » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Hello, everybody, I have just found Wordmagic, and I think it is really useful. Congratulations to you all. Now, a question I have for you: What is the name, in English, for a school that is in the countryside, and the teachers that work there? Is there a technical name? Because in Argentina we call them "escuelas rurales", o "maestros rurales". What is the specific terminology in english for that?
eva storni

Re: schools in the countryside

Postby gatogab » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:54 am

I think if it's "countryside", the school could be "country school" and the teacher "country teacher"
Pero, a lo mejor, estoy diciendo solo leseras. :o :o ...........GG
gatogab

Postby Palomita_de_Maíz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:13 am

Hola Eva, hola gatogab.

Las escuelas y los maestros rurales ¿son diferentes de las escuelas y maestros de la ciudad?
Gracias.
Palomita_de_Maíz

Postby WMLinguisticAnalyst » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:26 am

my two cents:

definitivamente no se pueden comparar las escuelas rurales de latinoamérica y las de los países anglosajones...son enanos de cuentos distintos, la connotaciones son muy diferentes. El término que usaríamos sería para diferenciar a las escuelas rurales, cada una en su plano, de las de ciudad.

El término más usual sería RURAL SCHOOLS y RURAL TEACHERS, porque COUNTRY SCHOOL ya tiene connotación de entidad privada y privilegiada para niños habilidosos...no necesariamente en todos los casos, pero ya la connotación la tiene y puede confundir. Country teacher es un término más bien obsoleto, de otra época, que aunque sí quiere decir eso, es mejor usar rural teacher.

Otro término que se usa más literariamente es ONE-ROOM SCHOOLS

si hice un enredo con mi escrito, me avisás para aclararlo :D

espero te ayude

salu2

wmla
WMLinguisticAnalyst

Postby eva storni » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:20 pm

Thank you everybody! I have learnt a few things with your comments. Thank you again, and another question, talking about schools and education... What is the word for "repitencia" in English (it means re-taking a same course) ? I can't find a proper NOUN for it. Can you help me? Thank you in advance. :D
eva storni

Postby WMLinguisticAnalyst » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:42 am

I found only two options: the first is a little more explanatory: RETAKING A COURSE
It can be slightly modified to fit your different contexts: RETAKING COURSES, RETAKING OF A COURSE, etc. See below:

Policy concerning retaking courses
- [ Traducir esta página ]
The transcript lists the course in the semester in which it was first taken, but it shows the grade earned after retaking the course. ...
http://www.math.upenn.edu/ugrad/retake-rules.html - En caché - Similares

retaking a course
- [ Traducir esta página ]
3 entradas - 2 autores - Última entrada: 22 Abr 2006
is retaking a course looked down upon? Say a student got a B as his final grade. would the student be better off in the long run to not have retaken the ...
http://www.physicsforums.com › ... › Academic Guidance - En caché - Similares
Retaking Classes at the college level‎ - 16 entradas - 6 Feb 2010
retaking a class‎ - 9 entradas - 21 Abr 2008

On the other hand, in an education thesaurus, the TASA DE REPITENCIA is translated as REPETITION RATE, thus leaving us with the option to use REPETITION; the only thing here is that if the context is not very explanatory, you will not be sure if this has to do with courses and/or grades and taking them over. My suggestion is to pair REPETITION up with other nouns, like: GRADE REPETITION, COURSE REPETITION

http://www.campus-oei.org/oeivirt/tesauro/t.htm

Tasa de repitencia
Repetition rate / Taux de redoublement
206 Registro de alumnos
TR: Repitencia

In other words, my suggestions in the preferred order I would use them are (the first are my preferred choices, the last ones...not so preferred :P ):

COURSE/GRADE REPETITION
COURSE/GRADE RETAKING
RETAKING COURSES/GRADES
RETAKING OF A COURSE/GRADE
REPETITION

salu2

wmla
WMLinguisticAnalyst

Postby eva storni » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:49 am

Thank you wmla!!! You are great! I think I will be bothering you a lot... because I still have a large number of pages to translate. Thank you again. :D ;)
eva storni

Postby WMLinguisticAnalyst » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:00 pm

No problemo, Eva!! Very glad to be of help! ;)
WMLinguisticAnalyst

Return to General Vocabulary / Vocabulario General