dome bubble

Words, phrases and idiomatic expressions.

Palabras, frases y expresiones idiomáticas

dome bubble

Postby dudati » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:14 am

Can anybody tell me the meaning of "dome bubble"?
Thanks in advance
dudati

Re: dome bubble

Postby WMLinguisticAnalyst » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:51 am

DOME BUBBLE is a like a hollow half of a ball, which is transparent and is used for protecting dome cameras (also circular shaped) used for monitoring and surveillance. The bubble is made of acrylic, generally. The most popular translations for DOME BUBBLE and DOME CAMERA are, respectively:

burbuja domo
cámara domo

the link below will give you some insight on what they are and images of each:

http://www.construnario.com/diccionario ... 25-WPH.pdf

hope this works for you...
WMLinguisticAnalyst

Postby dudati » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:52 pm

It works, but what if a give you the following context:"The surrounding streets, their hollows, the lesser heights, and dome bubbles of reeking Washington were visible"? The year is 1936.
dudati

Postby WMLinguisticAnalyst » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:43 pm

Researching I have come to the conclusion that the dome bubbles mentioned refer, in general, to the architectural construction popular at the time, such as the Capitol Building dome, and other dome-shaped structures which abounded. Bubble refers to their perfectly-half-circular shape, but their popularly-used name is "dome" or "bubble dome." I hope this answers your question; the translation for this could be:

cúpula (as is. The bubble part is literary and decorative; it could confuse it in Spanish with the cúpula en burbuja used in airplanes or motorbikes)

Feel free to say if this does not help you, so we can research a little bit more. Check the chapter context to see if there are any more clues than that of this single sentence.
WMLinguisticAnalyst

Postby dudati » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:45 am

It helps. Thank you very much.
dudati

Return to General Vocabulary / Vocabulario General