Who or WHom?

Preguntas sobre conjugaciones verbales, tiempos gramaticales, adverbios, preposiciones y más.

Questions regarding verb tenses, conjugation, adverbs, prepositions and more.

Who or WHom?

Postby KAdams » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:07 pm

Which is correct:

..........,who he must think idiots.

OR

...........,whom he must think idiots.

Thank you

K
KAdams

Re: Who or WHom?

Postby brandon_osborn » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:05 am

This is difficult stuff in English. It's so confusing that the word "whom" is not usually used in everyday speech. But here is how I understand it...

THE KEY (memorize this): "Whom" is used like "me", "him", "her" or "them", and "who" is used like "I", "he", "she", or "they". In other words, "whom" is an indirect object pronoun, while "who" is a direct object pronoun.

So for instance, we always say sentences like "Who are you speaking with?", when it should really be "With whom are you speaking?". Nevertheless, the rule of thumb I was taught is to restructure the sentence to determine whether "he" or "him" should be used. If "he" sounds right, then use "who". If "him" sounds right, then use "whom".

In my example, "who are you speaking with?", I would restructure that to say "I am speaking with him" ("I am speaking with he" doesn't make sense). Therefore, "whom" should be used instead of "who".

In your sentence (and I wish you had given us the whole sentence instead of just the last part), I would restructure that to say "He must think they are idiots". Therefore, "who" should be used instead of "whom".

If anyone else has a better way of explaining this than the way my convoluted mind works, please do.
brandon_osborn

Re: Who or WHom?

Postby KAdams » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:08 pm

Brandon,

Thank you for the answering me. Sounds good to me. I have never been able to remember the/a rule for the use of "who or whom", so your answer is very helpful.

I did not include the complete sentence due to its political content. I even tried to make a new sentence, but was not sure I'd get the same meaning................so posted the partial, hoping it would be enough. Thank you again.............

K
KAdams

Return to Grammar & Syntax / Gramática y Sintaxis