La arroba para incluir ambos géneros.

Preguntas sobre conjugaciones verbales, tiempos gramaticales, adverbios, preposiciones y más.

Questions regarding verb tenses, conjugation, adverbs, prepositions and more.

La arroba para incluir ambos géneros.

Postby Buk Aros » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:41 pm

Hi,
I am a bit shock that the Word Magic dictionary is using the @ to refer to both masculine and feminine genders. I found it here, in the translation for "tutela": http://www.wordmagicsoft.com/diccionario/es-en/tutela.php.

We, Spanish-speakers, can't even read it as expected. In fact, the best we can do is to read it as an /a/. In that definition, one can read, " la ejerce una persona o una entidad benéfica o de servicios sociales [email protected] tutor o tutora". Shouldn't the word "[email protected]" be coordinated with "una persona o una entidad". I mean, that word must come in femenine gender: "llamada", must not it?

Besides, as far as I knew, it is not necesary to say "tutor y tutora". Just neutral "tutor" is enough.Spanish-speaking women don't feel segregated for that; they might feel patronized instead. "Género" and "sexo" are not the same thing and neutral an masculine genders are writen the same way in Spanish.

I also was tought that, when sexual differenciation was needed to be clarified, the proper format was, "tutor(a)", "llamado(a)", etc.

Am I wrong? Is there any new rule for that in the Spanish Grammar?

Thanks for your apportation.
Buk Aros

Re: La arroba para incluir ambos géneros.

Postby brandon_osborn » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:11 pm

I am thinking that is a computer error. Like when you type (c) in Microsoft Word, the computer automatically changes it to ©. So when WordMagic uses (a), it automatically turns it into @. Only WordMagic knows for sure, but I'm sure they didn't mean to use @. That doesn't really make sense.
brandon_osborn

Re: La arroba para incluir ambos géneros.

Postby wordmagicsoft » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:36 pm

Actually we use the @ sign to denote that both, the O and the A, are accepted. For example:

[email protected] means -> llamado or llamada

This is actually getting accepted as an standard in Spanish.

Hope we cleared it up for you!
wordmagicsoft
Site Admin

Return to Grammar & Syntax / Gramática y Sintaxis